Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Airplane...

I had a radio controlled airplane quite some time ago. I want to say I got it when I was 18 or so. I never ended up flying it, mainly because I had invested hundreds of dollars into it and I was afraid that I would crash it. At the time, finding people to help you learn how to fly was pretty difficult, and couple that with my anti-social tendencies and you have a recipe for trying to teach yourself to fly.

Well, here we are about 15 years later and I am ready to give it another go.

I really like all of my cars and trucks, but there is only so much you can do with them without going to the track, which is over an hour away.

However, there is a GIANT field about three minutes from my house, and the local RC Plane club's private field is only about ten minutes from the house.

So I figured I'd give it a shot with a new electric trainer...a Hobbyzone Super Cub DSM.


It comes with a nice four channel DSM radio by Spektrum which can be used with future planes. It's three channels so it's very beginner friendly. It looks like a real plane, which was important to me.

It's designed as a plane you can use to learn to fly by yourself, but I'm contemplating joining the local club. It costs money, but you get access to their flying field and they have people with "trainer boxes" that can help you learn to fly. Basically, they have a transmitter that binds with your transmitter, then if you get into trouble up in the sky they can "take over" with the flip of a switch and bring the plane back to earth safely.

I ordered this plane off of Amazon, and got the wrong item shipped to me instead. I ended up getting it returned, and found a better deal on the same item at A Main Hobbies, so I ordered it from there. It should be here next week.

This plane qualifies as a "park flyer," which means it's legal to fly it at any local park as long as the city doesn't have any ordinances against it.

It's got amazing reviews, and the best part is that there is a progression that you can get into that allows you to move up as your skills improve.

I look forward to getting it and learning how to fly. It's something that I wanted to do for a long time, but was always afraid of the costs and risks. Maybe it's time to get over some of that anti-socialness and get out there and have someone help me learn!!

No comments: