Friday, December 16, 2011

Spending Some of My Bonus Money...

So I've been wanting to spend some of my bonus money when I get it on something fun that I otherwise would probably never buy.

So I've figured out what I'm going to get.

This.


That's a Stand Up Paddle Board.

Now, why, oh why, would I want something like this?? Easy. They are supposed to be spectacular workouts, and they seem like they would be a blast on some of the lakes around here.

There's something that I'll be getting to go with it, of course.


That's a Whiskey Jack hand made paddle. Why hand made?? Because it's better than anything a machine could put together.

The paddle is hand made in Montana. The board is actually made here in Michigan. See, stand up paddling has become pretty popular on flat lakes here on the mainland, and it's definitely popular anywhere that there's waves that you can even remotely come close to surfing on.

Of course, you may be wondering why I would really want any of this stuff. Well, there's a goal to all of this.

And that, is this...


The Traverse City TC Waterman SUP Challenge. This, of course, is the 2011 logo and design. However, in October of this year, the challenge got "annual" status from the Traverse City City Council, so it will be going every year. This year the challenge is on August 18th.

Now, what is the challenge?? Simple. It's a 9 mile paddle in Grand Traverse Bay that is basically a race.

I know I can't win it. I know I won't win it. I just want to enter it, and FINISH. I've set it as a goal, and I really...REALLY...want to stick to the goal. I think if I work hard and exercise and practice, there's no reason I shouldn't be able to finish the paddle and have accomplished something that I think is pretty great.

So, it's going to cost a few hundred bucks...but I've shopped and shopped and found deals. Basically, I'm getting a bunch of good stuff for not anywhere near what they should cost, so I'm spending money but saving at the same time.

And hopefully, I can get my training going and actually complete the TC Waterman Challenge!!!

1 comment:

Doug said...

Cool idea, just don't spend it all! ;-)