Monday, February 21, 2011

Las Vegas 2011...Part Two...


Thursday was another day that we had been looking forward to. We went to Circus Circus to go to the Adventure Dome amusement park and to play the games in their really great arcade and midway. We went there for the first time in 2010 and had an absolute blast. Cathy and I actually enjoy playing midway games more than seems like you're working towards something and not just losing money, even though you end up paying a ton to get some cheap prizes.

We went to the Adventure Dome first to ride the rides. We did everything once, but unfortunately on the roller coaster I bumped my head pretty good on the shoulder harness thing and it gave me a MASSIVE headache. It was so bad that after riding one more ride I was ready to be done with the rides. I literally felt sick to my stomach, and I NEVER feel sick to my stomach on rides. After we left the Adventure Dome we went to play games, and this is when I started to feel better. Again, we had an absolute blast playing the games. They're so much fun. We won a ton of little trinkets and filled a giant plastic bag with cool stuffed animals.

After finishing with the midway, we decided to go to the Circus Circus buffet. Great choice. The buffet in Planet Hollywood is $30 per person, and at Circus it's only $15 per person. We ended up getting two buffets for what we would have paid for one at PH. The best part?? The food was AWESOME!!! I will definitely be going back to that buffet the next time I go to Vegas.

We got done with dinner and headed back to the hotel. We just hung out for a while and then did some more gambling. We then went on our "buy one get one" drink spree. We had a bunch of coupons for buy one get one drinks, and some coupons for some free drinks, so we ended up using all of them. We had to go to three bars to do it, but it was worth it. We saved a ton of money and had a great time. After that I was hungry again so we went to the PBR Rock Bar again. I had pizza this time and to be honest it was one of the best pizzas I've had in a LONG time!!! We finished there and then went back to the room and crashed.


Friday was our "extra" day. Our other trips to Vegas have all only been four nights and five days, so normally we would have been going home by this time. But this trip we had five nights and six days, so this extra day was a bit different for us. To be honest, I think we were both a bit bored and would probably have liked to go home Friday. But we ended up making the best of it.

We had won a coupon for a free lunch at Hash House A Go Go, which is a place known for huge portions. We hadn't planned on going, but seeing as we didn't really have anything else to do we decided to give it a shot. We're glad we did. We got pancakes that were the size of a steering wheel in a car and some of the best bacon and sausage ever.

We left there and went to the Flamingo to visit their wildlife sanctuary. It was really nice, and seemed like there were more animals this time than there were when we went last year. After that we went to a show in the Flamingo that had been recommended by the hypnotist we had seen earlier in the week.

We saw Nathan Burton, a comedy magician. His show was pretty good, but I was actually more entertained by his side acts. The opening band was awesomely hilarious and one of his "intermission" performers was simply outstanding. The best part about this show?? It only cost $10. We also got there early enough that we ended up guessed it...front row seats!!! So we saw three shows on our trip and all three of them were from the front row. Pretty awesome.

After that show we headed back to the hotel. We didn't know what to do at all, so we ended up wandering down to New York New York because we read that they had a midway that we had never noticed before. We found it and played some games for a while, and had a good time, before going back to the hotel and turning in for the night.


Time to go home. We checked out of our room from the TV and got a cab to the airport. We got there at about 10:30 or so for our 1:05 flight to Minneapolis before coming back to Lansing. We checked in on the kiosk, and it told us to see an agent. Uh oh. Turned out our flight to Minneapolis had been delayed and we were going to miss our connection. Delta had rebooked us to go to Minneapolis later and then on to Lansing the next day. That wasn't going to work, as we knew there was supposed to be horrible weather and we probably wouldn't have made it back the next day, either. So we asked if we could be flown into Detroit. I called my parents and arranged for them to come pick us up, as inconvenient as that was, but they came through. I'm really glad they did. Of course, the flight that they moved us to ended up being delayed, but at least it ended up leaving.

We made it through security and had lunch at California Pizza Kitchen. We got some vouchers for food from Delta so we basically got one lunch for free. After eating we found a gate to hang out at, because we had a good four hours before we left.

Eventually we took off. We had exit lane seats which was nice, but I was stuck next to a VERY large woman that didn't at all try to make herself smaller for the trip, so I was pretty uncomfortable. But eventually we made it to Detroit. Better late than never I guess.

When we landed I called my dad, who was waiting for us already. He got us picked up and drove us all the way back to Lansing so we could get my car and then take the dogs back home. On the way home I got pulled over. Apparently I had crossed the yellow line. I didn't get a ticket, but I also don't think I really crossed the line. I think the cop saw all the dogs acting like fools as we were getting close to home and thought something else was going on. Either way, we finally made it home around 1:30 or so. I headed to McDonalds to get us some food before we finally went to bed.

No comments: