Thursday, February 3, 2011

Making It's Way Home...


Back in late 2006 I had a bike...a Yamaha YX-600 Radian. It was starting to nickel and dime me that past summer, and I had decided to sell it because I didn't want to spend any more money on it.

I sold it to a police officer at the airport for $400. I let it go for so little because that's all I needed to have the money to get the Ninja 250 that I have now.

The officer got it home and put a TON of work into it. He fixed everything that was wrong with it, even the more expensive things like the fork seals. That alone was a several hundred dollar job and pretty much the main reason that I didn't want to spend any more money on the bike.

He rode it up until this past summer, when something came up and his wife didn't want him to ride it any more. He decided to sell it, but didn't mention it to me. Instead, he sold it to a guy that I work directly with for $500.

He bought it to learn how to ride, but didn't end up learning this fall and now he thinks the bike is a bit too small for him. I told him the other day that I would give him $400 for it, and he told me that he needed to get the $500 that he paid for it. I told him I would do that. He said that I can pay him whenever and if it would be easier to wait until spring when I can ride it home that would be fine.

So, after about four years, my Yamaha Radian will be coming home. I'm glad, too. That was a bike that as soon as I sold it, I really wished I hadn't. Don't get me wrong, I love the 250, but the Radian was just a bit more special. It was, really, my first bike. On top of that, I'll be paying $100 more than I sold it for, but it's had a good $800 worth of work done to it. So that's a big plus.

Now, I have to decide what to do with the Ninja. I would I guess like to sell it, and I could easily get $1,000 for it, if not more. But...and this is the huge alarm going off in my head...I really think that the bike is worth a lot more than I could get for it. I put so much time and effort into getting that Ninja to where it is today that I don't know if it would be worth it to sell it.

So, I'm at a crossroads. I think that I should sell the Ninja, but I don't really want to. I also have no use for two bikes...unless, maybe my dad would want to come down and ride with me every now and then. He still has the CY endorsement on his license, so he could.

Either way, I'm just glad that the Radian will be coming back.

No comments: