Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Amazon Kindle Fire Tablet...

As anyone that's read my blog for a while knows, I have an Android tablet...an Archos A70.

I got it because I wanted something more portable than my laptop but with a bigger screen than my phone. The A70 worked well, but it never seemed to be as powerful as I had hoped.

So I have been on the constant lookout for a new tablet, but I simply didn't want to spend $500 or more to get an Android 3.0 tablet like a Xoom or an Acer Iconia.

A while back I had heard rumors that Amazon was working on a tablet of their own. These rumors really heated up about three weeks ago, and I began checking for news about it daily.

I found out that it was real, a guy at TechCrunch had actually used it. I found out that September 28th Amazon had scheduled a media event in New York...supposedly to announce the tablet. I found out that it was supposed to be a fairly powerful device (compared to my A70) for less than $300.

So, if you're paying attention...today is September 28th...and this is what was announced...


This is the Kindle Fire. It's an Android powered tablet that's not really using Android. Make sense?? Of course not. It runs a version of Android, but it's been so modified that you can't even tell it's Android. It's got a 1.2ghz dual core processor in it (compared to the 250mhz processor in the A70). It's got a 7" screen, which I find to be better for tablets than a 10" screen. It seamlessly integrates with all things Amazon...the book store, the video store, and the app store. So basically, it's a powerful Amazon device that will give you all things Amazon at the touch of a button.

Best part??

$199.

That's right. Less than $200.

Cathy went ahead and preordered one for each of us. They are supposed to ship on November 15th, and we should get them a day or two after that.

I'm looking forward to it. It looks pretty awesome!!!

No comments: