Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Movies I Can Watch Whenever They Are On...

Sunday night I was watching "The Dark Knight" on one of the premium cable channels. I think it was Showtime.

I ended up staying up way too late watching it. It ended at 4:35 am and I watched all the way to the end, so I probably fell asleep at about 5:00 am. Yes, I had to work at 11:00 am that day.

Anyways, this got me thinking. I've seen "The Dark Knight" probably 25 times...yet EVERY time that I see it on I immediately turn the channel so that I can watch it. It doesn't matter if it's been on for an hour or 20 minutes, I will change it and watch it.

So I started thinking about WHICH movies there are that I would do this with, and tried to narrow it down to a "Top 3" list. After some debating over the third place movie, I came up with the three movies that I will watch every time I see them on, no matter what time it is or how far into the movie it already is.

Here we go...



#1 The Dark Knight
There is just something about "The Dark Knight" that makes me love it. Not only was the performance of Heath Ledger simply astounding, the rest of the cast is equally good. In fact, Aaron Eckhart's portrayal of Harvey Dent is simply phenomenal. The only reason he doesn't get more credit for his performance is the fact that Ledger's was SO good.

It's a solid movie with a great script, excellent direction, superb action, awesome acting, and great special effects. It's an action movie that's so much more than an action movie.

"The Dark Knight" takes something that's relatively common today...the comic book movie...and makes it seem like it's not a comic book movie. The Joker is portrayed not as a comic book villain, but as a homicidal maniac that really just wants to cause chaos. Batman is portrayed well in the film as not a superhero, but more of a super detective with a martial arts skill set that is unmatched. Everything about the movie completely transcends the fact that it's a comic book movie.

To top that off, each time I watch it I tend to pick up on more little subtle messages that it has.

No matter when it's on, I'm going to be watching it...and I don't see that changing any time soon.

#2 Troy
"Troy" is an epic movie. It's got large battles, heroes, Kings, the works. Oddly enough, the very first time I watched "Troy" I didn't find it particularly great. It wasn't until the second time that I watched it, when it first came out on DVD, that I truly started to enjoy "Troy" for what it was.

It's a movie based on a myth. But it tries to take some of the "magic" out of the myth and portray these people as more human than the typical myth would.

It takes a well known myth and puts it into a format that is highly enjoyable, stylized, and well put together.

Just to sum all of this up, I have "Troy" on DVD not once...not twice...but three times. Yes, I have three different versions of the movie "Troy" on DVD. I have the original widescreen theatrical version, the HD-DVD version, and the "Ultimate Super Duper Edition" that comes in a really cool case.

Even with those three copies of the DVD, I will still watch "Troy" every time it's on TV.

#3 Jaws
"Jaws" has been rated the #1 horror movie of all time by several "Top 100" lists that I've seen in the last few years. I feel that is a well deserved title for the movie.

Never before has a movie caused people to LITERALLY change the way they feel about something. Before "Jaws," nobody was scared to go in the water. After "Jaws," there are many people that changed their mind about swimming in the ocean.

There's something uniquely scary about the ocean...that's the fact that you have no idea what is below you, watching you, waiting for you, planning on eating you...and "Jaws" uses this quality perfectly. The fact that the shark is physically seen only a limited number of times just adds to the tension and suspense.

"Jaws" is, quite obviously, the oldest movie on this list...and as such it's the one that I've seen the most. I would guess I've seen "Jaws" at least 100 times. As such, I have pretty much most of the movie memorized.

Even with that said, it's a movie that I simply refuse to miss whenever it's on TV.

No comments: