Saturday, August 22, 2009

Cascades Walking Path...

So today I packed up the Wagon with the Big Stick and the Surfboarder and headed to Cascades Park.

If you've been following my blog for a long time, you'll know that Cascades is where Cathy and I got married at. It's a nice big park. It's got a really nicely paved walking/bike path that goes around a marshy area in the center of the park. This path is really nice and smooth, it's got a good mix of hills and flats, and it's really easy to move around on.

I decided a few weeks ago that I really wanted to try boarding on the path. So today was gorgeous outside and I decided it would be perfect for it. I went by myself, Cathy didn't really want to ride her bike while I paddled, so I could go at any pace that I really wanted. I found out pretty quickly that there's a few really steep hills on the path...hills that were steep enough that I had trouble PUSHING up them with my foot...let alone with the paddle. But the flats and slight downhills were excellent for paddling on!!! There wasn't much traffic on the path, so I didn't have to worry about slowing down to get out of people's way very often. I also didn't get harassed about skating on the path, which was a bit of a concern that I had.

The path was great...but I guess I never really realized how short it was. It only took maybe...15 or 20 minutes...tops to get around the whole thing once. I guess I probably should have gone around a couple of times, but I figured that it was just a good quick work out. Next time I go, I'll try to get around three times.

All in all, it's a great place to paddle. I just wish it was a little bit longer...

No comments: