Monday, August 3, 2009

A Great Deal on a New Game...

So I had been looking for a new single player game to play through. I'm pretty much done with "Red Faction" on the single player front...I still play "Red Faction" as my primary online game, but I just wanted something to play by myself when none of my team is online in "Red Faction."

So I had it narrowed down to a few titles. I was looking at "Tom Clancy's Endwar" which is a real time strategy game, "Dynasty Warriors Six: Empires" which is an action game, and "Brothers in Arms" which is a first person shooter.

When I was at Best Buy this evening to pick one out, they had "Brothers in Arms" on clearance for $25. "Dynasty Warriors" is pretty much brand new, but it's only $40 to begin with. "Endwar" was $30. So all three games are bargain priced, so price wasn't really a factor.

They had a special edition of "Endwar" for the PS3 on clearance for 50% off of it's $90 price tag...but they didn't have any for the Xbox 360 on that clearance end cap, so I figured the Xbox one wasn't on clearance. Then Cathy noticed that they had some copies of the Xbox special edition in a different spot, but they still had the yellow 50% off sticker. I asked the worker in the games section if they were 50% off even though they weren't on that shelf, and he said they were.

So I now had the opportunity to get the special edition of "Endwar" for $45 for the Xbox. The only really "special" thing about the copy is that it comes with the Xbox 360 Wireless Headset, which is a $50 value by itself. I've had the wireless headset before, and really didn't like it though, so I wasn't sure if the special edition was worth it.

But then I had a thought...why not get the special edition and sell the headset on Ebay to make up some of the cost of the product, and likely make the game less than the $30 that it would cost otherwise. I didn't know if the headset in the package was packaged like the headset normally is, or if it was packaged differently. But I figured that on Ebay even a used one in good shape should go for about $20 or so, which would bring the price of the game down to $25.

I bought the game and took it home. When I got home, I opened it and found that luckily the headset was packaged exactly as it would be in the store. So I quickly set up a Buy It Now auction on Ebay with the price at $40.

I then went and made the post about sharks on that other guy's blog, and posted a copy of it here on my blog. When I went back to my iGoogle page, I had an e-mail with an instant payment. It was for the headset. That's right, it sold in less than 25 minutes, for the $40 that I was asking for it.

So basically, I bought a $45 special edition and then sold half of it an hour later for $40. So in the end I got the game "Endwar" which retails for $30 for a grand total of $5.00. Not too bad, if I do say so myself!!!

1 comment:

Doug said...

I like the way you think! :-)