Thursday, June 4, 2009

Battlefield Heroes Beta!!!

So a few weeks ago I signed up to do some open beta testing for a new game from Electronic Arts called "Battlefield Heroes."

"Heroes" is a cartoon shooter that is an online only game. You play it without paying any monthly fees and without buying anything. There are ads at the beginning of the games, on the website, and during breaks between rounds. You can also purchase with real money items for your character to wear in the game. It's the first of EA's new line of "Free 2 Play" games. It's a game that's more about having fun than being competitive...or at least so they say.

Well, yesterday I got my key e-mailed to me. I downloaded the game client last night and played a few matches. I honestly had a blast. I didn't do very well, but when they say the game is more about having fun than being competitive I can see what they meant. It's fun to just run around in a cartoon world trying to shoot other cartoon characters.

After about 3 matches (they only last about 5 minutes each) I had probably killed about 10 people and been killed about 20 times. The item store apparently isn't available yet, so you can't purchase any custom items to have on your character in the game yet, but when it goes live I'll probably get a few things.

It's a really fun game and the best part is I'm pretty sure it will run on just about any computer...seeing as it's running through the internet instead of any downloaded programs. The only downloaded component is a launching client.

Part of the reason I wanted to get in on the beta (other than to play the game) was because I want to try and get a few more betas in so that I can "pad my resume" of beta testing so that maybe I get a chance to do that OnLive Beta....

3 comments:

Doug said...

Sounds like my kind of game!

I also think this is type of internet game (along with OnLive) is the next generation of gaming.

pazila said...

Just so you know, this game is downloaded, and if you look in Program Files the game is in there.
The game is launched by a small plugin from your browser which starts the game and gives it some info such as what account you are using.
You can start the game from your pc too, but it won't be able to log in.

Gimpdiggity said...

Cool. Thanks Pazila. I hadn't noticed that!!