Monday, June 1, 2009

Getting Out the Kayaks...


So it's starting to finally turn into summer, and that means that it's time to start thinking about getting the kayak back out. I would love to be able to get Cathy out on hers early in the summer so that when she enjoys it we can start doing it on a semi-regular basis...even if we just keep going to the same lakes or rivers.

I am looking forward to trying out the life vest that I got for Christmas. And we still need to work on finding Cathy a nice vest.

I've been noticing a few places recently that would probably be okay to go and paddle on...but I think for the first trip that we both take we'll just go back to Grass Lake. It seems to be a nice easy lake to paddle on that is really wide open so it's easy to see and be seen. I'm sure that Cathy would like being out on the lake there, too. She'd get to see some of the awesome houses that are out there.
We definitely need to get out there soon. I really enjoyed the couple of times that I went out last year and would really like to do it again this summer. I doubt that we'll get out a ton of times, but even if we just go once a month that would make the kayaks more than worth the money that I spent on them.
I'll definitely have to see about getting Cathy a vest in the next few weeks...

1 comment:

Doug said...

One of the best times I had was learning to Kayak. At the time we lived in NJ.
I happened to learn with a neighbor who signed both of us up for lessons at a local sports complex.
All the lessons were in the pool!
And the best part of the whole thing was learning to roll back up.
It took me weeks to learn, but once I did it, it was like riding a bike.