Friday, December 19, 2008

Awesome Trip I Found Today.

So today while browsing around on the internet, I found an awesome trip that I would like to take one day. It's through a company called "Incredible Adventures." They basically do what appears to be all kinds of just totally insane things that people would do for a "once in a lifetime" type thing. They do things like let you fly a Russian MiG 29 Fulcrum (one of the baddest ass fighter jets on the planet...yes, even more amazing that most of the United States fighter jets) over Moscow. They do submarine trips. They do trips where you fly a jet all the way to over 60,000 feet called "Edge of Space.

But the trip that I found that I liked was their "Key West Shark Adventure." What they do is take you out for a 7 day cruise aboard a 63 foot long luxury "research vessel." It looks to me like it's just a big ass yacht...but it's registered with the USCG as a research ship. They take you out and all your meals and such are included. They take you to Key West and other Florida Keys and do some things on land, like visit tourist attractions and things. They even take you on a few kayak trips, which make it that much better. But the cool part about the whole thing is that you actually get to help a few research divers capture, tag, document, and release nurse sharks and turtles. You can do it in one of two ways: by SCUBA diving or just by snorkeling. The site says they have you basically help them spot the animals, then they capture them and you help with all the documenting of the animals.

I've always...ALWAYS...wanted to swim with sharks. I would like to SCUBA dive with them, but I think it would be a bit too expensive for me to learn how, so I wouldn't mind just doing the snorkeling with them. I've had a few opportunities to do it...mainly on the cruise a few years back...but never actually did it. Maybe I'm crazy, but I think that swimming with the wonderful creatures would be one of the coolest things that I could ever possibly do...and actually doing it while helping with research on the animals would make it all that much better.

One problem...the trip is $3,250 per person...not including any airfare. It covers the meals and your lodging on the ship, but that's about it. Pretty steep in the price department...but maybe someday!!!

Here's a picture of the Tiburon Research Ship...
And here's a picture of a whale shark that they encountered on one of their trips...at least it looks like a whale shark. I may be a bit off, but either way, here it is:

No comments: