Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Trebuchet...or Ballista???

So I really would like to order another kit to make a trebuchet...but since I've been looking at them, I've really taken a liking to the ballista kits that I have found.

The ballista is basically an ancient Greek siege weapon that resembles a crossbow to an extent. Of course, it is larger as it was designed to destroy castle walls...so the model that I have found obviously is to scale. But even at scale it is more than likely larger than most modern crossbows.

The ballista claims to be able to hurl golf balls nearly as far as the trebuchet kit that I am interested in...but it just looks so damn cool.

More than likely I will end up with both of them...so really this is just me trying to decide which one to order first. From what I can tell, the ballista is a bit more time consuming to build AND to operate. It's tension based skeins need almost constant adjustment, and if they aren't almost exactly matching one another, the projectile will not launch correctly. That's not that big of a deal to me, as I would probably want to mess with it all the time anyways.

For now, here's a quick picture of what it looks like:

No comments: