Saturday, October 11, 2008

The Cottage

My family has a cottage near Dorr, Michigan. It's on a lake called "Lake Monterey" and it's in a private park called "Sandy Pines."

Growing up I was there nearly every weekend of every summer. But then when I turned 16 and got my first job I almost literally stopped going there. I have probably been there less than 25 times in the last 14 years, and being there just overnight last night really made me realize how much I used to enjoy it there.

I hope that when my grandma decides that she doesn't want to go there anymore, she gives me an opportunity to purchase the lot from her. I think that I will be making an active attempt to get over there more often this next summer. Maybe once a month for at least a night.

The lake probably wouldn't be great for kayaking, but it gives me an effective "Base of Operations" for the west side of the state. Over the last 9 years or so that's about the only reason I've gone to the cottage...to stay there overnight while I go hang out in Grand Rapids or Grand Haven or whatever. But it's in a prime location to get me out on some lakes over on that side of the state with the kayak.

No comments: