Monday, October 13, 2008

Kayaking...Not This Week...

So I had been thinking about possibly getting the TK-1 out this week, but I wasn't sure if I would have time.

Well, we finally got a time set to go meet the DJ for the wedding, and that's right at the time I had been planning on going, so it looks like I'll be canceling the kayak trip.

No big deal, I'm still really looking forward to getting it out again. I have begun having second thoughts about making the skeg, however. I think I might try a little bit longer to get my paddle stroke correct so that I go straighter, and not try to use the Band-Aid fix of the added skeg.

Who knows though, maybe I'll get bored and make one soon anyways!!!!

You know, the more I think about it though, the more I really don't know if I should add the skeg or not. I REALLY don't want to develop bad paddling habits that would be reinforced by something that would "correct" them like a skeg. On the other hand, I want to have the most fun possible out on the boat.

The skeg might possibly make the boat a bit more "fun" on the water...not that it isn't fun now, but it might make it just a tad bit better. But it also might have me start some bad paddling habits to begin with, which I really don't want.

I'm still planning on EVENTUALLY upgrading to a bit more expensive inflatable, but I really like the TK-1 so it won't really be anytime soon. I want to maximize the fun and usefulness of this little boat...and I'm not sure if the skeg is the way to go or not.

Maybe I should just plan on trying to get better at paddling and then if I still feel a need for something to fix the tracking next summer THEN I can go ahead and make the skeg. It's not like the design I have for it is going to be something I forget...it's pretty simple and straightforward.

Yah, I think it might be best to just focus on getting better myself...and then add the fix later if I still feel it needs it!!!

No comments: