Friday, October 3, 2008

Scooter Research...

One thing that I really enjoy doing is researching things that I may potentially purchase. It gives me things to look for on the internet and things to think about.

The scooter idea that Cathy had has been in my head a lot the last few days. I like the idea more and more as I think about it, and as such I've been looking online almost non-stop for information about scooters.

I've narrowed it down to two options. Option one is to buy us a couple of used Honda Ruckuses. Cathy and I both like the styling of the Ruckus, and they seem to be fairly easy to find used for pretty good prices. This is the Ruckus.

I personally like the Ruckus because there are LOADS of customizable parts that can be purchased for it, and I LOVE to tinker with things. If it's got wheels and a motor and I own it, it won't be stock for very long. Here's an example of one that a guy spent WAY too much money on...but it gives you an idea...


The other option that I have come up with is buying a couple of new scooters from a company called "Kymco." Kymco is a Taiwanese based company that has a very good reputation in the scooter world. They make affordable scooters with good warranties. Twenty-four month parts and labor warranties aren't very common in the two wheeled world, but that's what the Kymco's all have.

The model that I like for the both of us is the Kymco Sento. It's a 49cc scooter which makes it moped legal. It's got a retro styling that I really dig. I'm not sure, but I might actually like the style BETTER than the Ruckus. It comes in a few different colors as well. I would think Cathy would like this one...

...or they also make it in a pink that might fit her. But I think she'd like the blue better...I'm not really sure why I think that, I guess maybe because I like the blue a bit better than the pink.

I, on the other hand, would definitely want this one.

I REALLY like that brown color scheme a LOT. I think that's a really classy looking scooter and I think it would be fun to have.

There is a third option, but I doubt Cathy would really like it. It involves buying a couple of early 80s actual mopeds...you know, the kind with pedals that look more like a bike than a scooter. I've gotten pretty handy at repairing carburetors, so I think I could nurse a couple of those old mopeds back to health for a total of under $400 each...but I don't think she'll like that because, well, they are outright ugly!!!

Now, all of this is, of course, just research and planning. Cathy has banned me from purchasing any kind of moped or scooter for us at the current time. That's okay, we'd have no use for them over the winter anyways!!! But that doesn't mean I'm not going to spend time looking at them!!!

No comments: