Monday, March 8, 2010

My First Big Magic Moment...


So, if you've been following this blog for any amount of time, you'll know that recently I have become pretty interested in magic.

I buy at least one effect every two weeks, and I play around with the effects all the time. I'm not really very good, but I enjoy learning how the effects work and showing them off to the select few people that I show them to.

Well, while we were in Las Vegas, I bought a DVD that had a coin in bottle trick on it. To my surprise, when I got it home and was watching it, it also had a version of an effect that I have had on my wish list at Penguin for quite a while.

I then made the effect and have been practicing it quite a bit. I really like it. It's very visual and gets pretty good reactions from the people I've shown it to.

However, tonight, as I was practicing with it a little bit...I had an idea. An idea that would allow me to show the cards more freely both before and after the effect. This method that I thought up also hides the working of the effect quite a bit better than the standard version.

In the version that I got on the DVD, you can cleanly show the cards from the top of them immediately after you have finished the effect, but if you show them from the bottom you would reveal the trick. With my version, you can cleanly show both sides of the cards immediately after the effect without worrying about revealing anything.

I'm not sure that this hasn't been done before, but I'm pretty amazed at myself right now, because I thought up a way to improve an already amazing effect and make it even better. This is the first time that I've actually been able to truly improve an effect. I have changed a few to make them work better for me, but they weren't really improvements. I feel that with this idea, I've made this effect that much more awesome.

Now...if only I could find some way to market it and make some money!!!

No comments: