Sunday, April 18, 2010

Scripting a Show...

So, for the last eight months I've been buying a lot of magic. I actually have about 9o different effects right now. I've spent a good amount of time and money on them. I practice them and know how to do them.

But for the first time since I started this I am actually working on a routine. An entire 25-30 minute routine that combines similar effects into an entertaining show.

I am working on a kids show routine. I hope to get it done and then maybe be able to perform it professionally at birthday parties or things like that.

It's been tough, coming up with effects that work well with each other. It's been even more tough, working on a script. When I perform stuff for my friends and coworkers I just ad-lib the words that come with it...but after studying magic and participating in many discussions on Penguin's forums, I have realized that a scripted routine that you know by heart, like lines in a movie for an actor, is the only way to go for a real routine.

So I've been working on the script for about a week now. I had been just brainstorming ideas in my head, but the other night I started to put it all into words on the computer. I have just finished the opening sequence of effects and the introduction that takes place immediately after that sequence.

I've started the scripting for the first effect, but I'm not even close to being done with that. After that, I have about 4 more effects that will need to be scripted.

It's been fun, and I look forward to working out the entire routine!!!

No comments: