Monday, April 13, 2009

Finally Got to Work on the GS...

So today I finally got to work on the GS. I ran to Grove's Motorsports in Mason, Michigan and picked up the couple of things that I would need: case sealer and some grip glue.

Then I came home and figured I'd have at it. I was planning on just doing the tachometer seal fix because it was a bit chilly outside.

However, I got the tach fixed in about 15 minutes. So I figured that I might as well go ahead and tackle the valve cover gasket.

Total time took about two hours on both project, I would say. The valve cover gasket was actually a pretty easy install. So I guess even if I didn't do it right, I know how to take it all back apart to do it again if I need to. But I'm pretty sure I got it right. I replaced the gasket per the directions that I found online and replaced the end cap seals the same way. I also found out that the case sealer can be used as a gasket in emergencies, so if it is leaking at all still I might be able to make a quick fix with some sealer. Not the best way to do it, but it should work in a pinch.

After I got the valve cover gasket back together I put the tail end of the bike back together. The reflectors had been off of it since I painted it and the tail hadn't been actually hooked to the bike at all. So I got that back together, then I went ahead and installed my new grips for the handle bars.

After all of this was done, I rolled it out into the driveway to get some proper pictures.Here's a nice shot of the back end of the bike. That tire will be swapped out sometime this summer. It's a bit flat in the center, and probably won't handle as well as I would like.
Here is a picture that shows the new headlight in position. I think it looks pretty good, considering it was a cheap part for a cheap price. You can also see the new red grips in this picture.
Here is a picture of the side of the bike. In this picture you can really see how the black bed liner actually looks on the bike. You can see that it's not quite as textured as it appeared in the other pictures. You can also see the lines of the bike without the unnecessary things on it, like the ugly stock mirrors or the turn signals. Please note, I did not forget to paint the front fender, it's going to be slightly modified before it gets painted, and that will probably happen in the next two weeks.

So for now that's what I've got done. In the next few days I will be tackling the carb rebuild and the cam chain tensioner seals. I will also pull the starter out and throw a new o-ring in there just to be on the safe side. I also will have the bar end mirrors to put on.

I'm at a loss right now as to what to do for turn signals, if I do anything at all. I don't NEED to have them, because I can technically use hand signals. But I have an idea for a front set that I really like...which means I'll have to come up with something for a rear set.

Other plans for the future include some red highlights...maybe a stripe?? But definitely doing the calipers in red, the plug wires in red, and I'll be looking for a newer brake master cylinder that might be red. I may paint those cam covers red, as well, but I'm not sure. I'm also still searching for a good deal on a replacement exhaust. I'm thinking right now that I might just go with some exhaust wrap and call it all good until I can find a great deal this winter.

1 comment:

Doug said...

Totally cool. I like this style much more that the loaded cruisers that seem to be popular around here.