Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Tank is Off of the GS...

So today I finished up the body work on the gas tank on the Suzuki.

I then went ahead and took the tank off of the bike. I then sanded the tank and did the last little bit of Bondo work that I needed to do. After the Bondo I sanded it again, and this time made sure I scuffed up any areas of the metal that were still nice and pretty.

After I got the sanding on the top of the tank done, I flipped it over and cleaned up the underside. I took the fuel petcock off and sanded the little bit of metal that was bubbling around that.

Next, I sprayed the entire tank with cleaner and wiped it all down. It looked like it was pretty well scuffed and sanded everywhere that I needed it to be scuffed and sanded.

Next, I got out my rusty metal primer and went to town on the whole tank. I did the top, the sides, and even the bottom. I put some extra on the parts that had any rust to begin with, even though I sanded it all down to bare metal. I let that dry for a while, then moved on to the bed liner.

The bed liner really stinks. Working with it in an enclosed area is not a good idea. Luckily I had the garage open while I was working on it. Only closed it for it to dry. But either way, I got the first coat of the bed liner on the tank. I think it looks excellent. You can obviously tell that it's got texture to it, and it does an excellent job of masking my Bondo work that was probably about 95% perfect, but 5% not.

I'll be going out to put the second coat on in about three hours or so. Maybe tonight I'll be able to get a picture to show what it looks like.

No comments: