Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Epic Halo Wars Battle Tonight


So tonight my friend Alex and I were playing some co-op "Halo Wars." We were basically trying to farm some achievements for him and me. We got him a few last night and were working on getting me the one for completing the game in co-op mode.

Well, after a few missions he suggested that we try playing online against someone else. I found that a bit odd, as he hasn't seemed interested in playing online against others in the game at all after the first time I tried it with him and another friend of ours, Norm. But I was game for trying that, besides, he needed the achievement for winning his first skirmish online, so I figured we could try to get that one for him.

We started a game and got matched up against two other players with similar ranks as us. I played as the character Professor Anders and was planning on teching up an army of Hawks, the most powerful air units in the game. Alex played as Captain Cutter and was planning on making an army of Warthogs. Well, this didn't work out very well, because the Covenant leader on the other team attacked my base right away, along with about 7 Warthogs from the other player on the other team. I called for Alex to send his Warthogs to help, but instead he attacked the other players base. Within about 7 minutes I was dead and out of the game, and within about 5 after that Alex was done.

We were not to be deterred, however. We launched another game with the same characters, this time building a few Warthogs each right off the bat to combat what could be a rush. Luckily we didn't need them, because the other team decided to tech and build an army...which we were fine with because that was going to be our strategy.

We built an army and took over several neutral bases and basically just kept working our defense up. I had 20 hawks, and two bases completely covered by turrets. Alex had a whole ton of ODST Marines and some Warthogs.

The other team finally attacked, but they played right into our hands. They attacked between two of our bases with Hawks and Scorpion Tanks. That allowed us to make quick work of them between Alex's army, my army, and the two sets of turrets that were demolishing their armies. We quickly defeated them, then worked on rebuilding any units that we had lost.

I then made a quick strike with my Hawks to their northernmost base. I destroyed it before they got a big enough army over there to push me back, but they did push me back. However, I had accomplished my goal of destroying a base, and forcing them to use some resources to rebuild the base that they had just lost.

I pulled back and rebuilt the army back up to the maximum, and it was just in time to fend off another attack by their forces. Once again, however, they came right into the middle of the bases and got slaughtered by our army again. This time, however, Alex took some major damage, and so did I. But we ended up destroying their forces again. After that, we took the time to rebuild our army again.

They made a quick run at my norhternmost base, just like I had done to them. They were able to destroy the base, but we were able to get up there and finish off the forces that my turrets hadn't destroyed. Luckily, in that battle Alex and I didn't lose many units, but I did have to use up most of my resources to rebuild the destroyed base.

We got the base built again and got all of our units in tip top shape. They attacked once again, this time at Alex's southern base...which was once again right between two bases so the turrets were laying waste to them big time...not to mention, Alex used his upgraded MAC Blast to devestate them. Their units were litereally all destroyed, and we were fully armed with practically zero losses. Alex said "Let's go get them now."

So we attacked...and it was relentless. We were able to move to their southern most base and destroy it in seconds. Then we moved to the next base to the north, and destroyed that one in seconds. That finished off one of their two players, and he was the more powerful one, the one that had been building his own Hawks.

We then split our forces to go after the final three bases. I went after the one that was the most fortified because I had faster more powerful units. I destroyed that while Alex destroyed the second of the three remaining bases. I got done with the base I was working on and went and set up firebases at the spots where we had destroyed bases, just to make sure the guy that was still alive didn't get a foot hold to continue to keep fighting. While I did that, Alex moved in and finished off the final base. We now had every base on the map in our control, but we needed to find the last remnants of his army to finish the match off. We started looking near a shield generator, figuring that's where we would make our last stand. We found him, and within about 15 seconds finished off the remainder of his army.

Victory was ours. Our strategy of turtling had worked pretty well. We basically just played defense, using our units AND our turrets to defend our position until we were 100% ready to strike. The turrets that we had were the real difference makers, in my opinion. Had we not had them, the fights would've been much more even...but since we were near our bases and our turrets were helping us out, we pretty easily won the first few conflicts. Then when we moved in we didn't really have much to worry about because we had already destroyed their army, so we moved in and just destroyed turrets. Basically, whenever they attacked they had to deal with turrets AND our army...but by the time we attacked we only had to deal with turrets, and it worked perfectly.

All of this took about an hour. It was really fun. I like playing "Halo Wars" when both teams use strategies that don't involve just running at the other team right at the start.

No comments: