Sunday, February 22, 2009

Congratulations, and RIP...


So tonight was a fitting end to a career that was way too short.

Heath Ledger won an Oscar, posthumously of course, for his spectacular portrayal of The Joker in last summer's "The Dark Knight." The award was accepted by his parents and his sister.

Over the years, I had grown to really enjoy Heath Ledger's work. I can honestly say that of all the movies that I saw him in, there wasn't a single one that I didn't think he did a stellar job acting in.

My favorite parts that he played were, obviously, The Joker in "The Dark Knight," Sir Ulrich von Lichtenstein in "A Knight's Tale," and Patrick Verona in "10 Things I Hate About You."

There were others, and I even enjoyed "Brokeback Mountain."

But the thing that bothers me the most about his passing was that he was seeming to come into his own as he got more mature. He was able to make parts his own. I have always found myself to be the type of person that thinks an actor is great when he or she makes you FORGET that they are the one playing the part...few actors right now really have that, and Heath did. His parts, to me, were more memorable for the character than for the actor that played them...and it's too bad that we have had him taken away before we got to see what he was truly capable of.

With this, I would like to say congratulations to Mr. Ledger...and godspeed.

No comments: