Friday, February 6, 2009

Financial News...


So the financial news is obviously something that everyone has been paying close attention to recently. Jobs are down, prices are up, new president's in office...blah blah blah.

I don't really try to pay THAT much attention to the financial news, because, to be honest it gets me down a little bit. It's all so doom and gloom. I don't know if I fully buy that the economy is in an absolute meltdown, but it's definitely not on an upswing. I think the truth lies somewhere between what I KNOW and what the media tells me. The media, in my opinion, really tends to make things out to be the absolute worst...when in fact they aren't quite as bad as they would like you to believe. I think they do this because, well, misery sells. If the news were full of happy stories with great endings, everyone would get bored really quick.

Now, with that said, I find the financial news seeping more and more into things that I USED to enjoy reading and viewing. Take for instance, Sports Illustrated. I read SI pretty much cover to cover every week. I read it because I love sports. I read it because the reporting is great. I read it because it's humorous. I read it because of the fantastic photography. But something I've been noticing lately is that even this magazine...which I believe I should be able to turn to in order to NOT hear anything about the recession...has been having articles about the economy.

First a couple of weeks ago Mitch Albom put together a really good piece on Detroit. It was really a lot of doom and gloom, but each section was highlighted with some good things. I found it interesting because Detroit is my sports "hometown" if you will. So the plight of Detroit is near and dear to me, as I live a mere 1 hour away from this once proud town. That article wasn't too bad, but it was definitely one of the bigger pieces that they've put together about the economy in SI.

Now I got my new issue today. As if it's not bad enough that I have to read about how great of an organization the Steelers are, the last page article, which is one that I regularly look forward to, was a piece about how the economy has gotten so bad that even the Super Bowl wasn't extravagent. Now, that's one thing that I don't need to read in my Sports Illustrated. If I want information like that I'll turn on CNN, or read a newspaper, or listen to the idiots on the internet that rant incessantly about the next great depression. I don't need that in my Sports Illustrated...

No comments: