Saturday, February 7, 2009

Netbooks...


So I have a laptop computer that I use quite a bit. Problem is, the thing is nowhere near portable. When unplugged, the battery lasts about 40 minutes...less if it's got a CD/DVD in it or I'm on wireless internet. So basically, it's more like a desktop computer for me. I only use it in one place, and only when it's plugged in.

Something has been intriguing me lately...they are these ultra small PCs that have been dubbed "Netbooks." They are generally very small, have processors that produce little heat, don't have gigantic hard drives, and in general are designed to be VERY portable.

The one that I like the best is the Dell Mini 9. It's got an 8.9 inch screen, weighs about 2.2 pounds, is tiny, and would do everything that I do with my laptop now. It's got built in wireless, which is cool. The battery tests are showing them lasting nearly 4 hours. It's got a solid state hard drive (like an iPod Nano) so it doesn't have any moving parts. It would be about perfect for what I use the laptop for. Browsing the net, posting on message boards, e-mails, and watching some videos. All in an ultraportable design that is really inexpensive.

The Dell Mini-9 starts at only $249 with free 2 day shipping...appealing...

1 comment:

Doug said...

I have found that vendor estimated battery life is often like estimated MPG for cars. That is why they always say 'actual results may vary..'
My wife's laptop was suffering from the same "no battery life" ailment so I got her an extended battery for Christmas, so now she can go anywhere for almost 2 hours.