Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Got Cathy on My Verizon Plan...

So Cathy's phone has been giving her trouble. It won't hold a charge, and to make matters worse, it wasn't seeming to plug in to it's charger right. So she had been wanting a new phone, and we had been planning on getting us onto the same cell phone bill for a while now. She was paying $70 or so a month and I pay about $80 for my plan. She had like 1000 anytime minutes, I had 450 (but mine has a data plan for the smartphone). I used 7 minutes last month...and like 18 the month before that. She used a little more, but together we probably average less than 30 minutes each every month. Everyone that I call has a Verizon phone, or I make sure I call when the minutes are free...so I avoid using my anytime minutes.

But anyways, basically anything that cost less than $150 a month would've been beneficial for us, even by only about $10 or so.

So we got her and I into a Family Share Plan. $70 for 700 minutes. We got her 250 texts a month for $5, which I also have. We got her insurance on her new phone for $5, which I also have. My data plan is $30, her phone doesn't need a data plan. So altogether, that's $120. So basically, we save $30 right there, right off the bat. Now granted, that doesn't include fees and taxes and such. However, those are generally negated by the fact that since I work for the gubment, I get a 15% discount through Verizon. My discount generally saves me about $10 per month, and the fees are regularly less than $5.00. So the discount pays for those fees with no problems at all. So with the higher access charges for the lines, the discount should still easily cover the fees that are incurred on the account...so I'm guessing the bill will be something right around $115 a month. That saves us a total of $35 per month...not too shabby.

Cathy also really likes her new phone. The guy at Best Buy said that it's a hard phone to get a hold of because it's so popular right now. It's an LG Voyager. I think it's pretty cool looking. Got a really nice touch screen on it, stereo speakers, full flip open QWERTY keyboard.

No comments: