Thursday, February 26, 2009

ID'd the Oil Leak on the GS...

So after a little bit of examination I've identified the oil leak on the Suzuki.

It's not a huge oil leak, but it seems to be a pesky one. It's coming from a few different spots, but I nailed the main culprits when looking at it this afternoon.

The valve cover gasket is a main source of the problem, but it's not the valve gasket itself...it's another smaller seal that seems to be held in place BY the valve cover gasket. On the web I am seeing them called "half moon seals." This is probably because they look like a half moon...duh. They are cheap parts, but getting to them will be a bit of a chore. While I am replacing them I might as well replace the valve cover gasket and adjust the valves, too.

I also noticed that the pickup for the tachometer leaks a bit. I've read that this is pretty normal on a bike this age, so replacing it would be necessary soon anyways. Luckily, that's a bit more of an easy fix, and still a relatively cheap part.

No comments: