Thursday, January 15, 2009

Snowshoeing...


So today I ran up to the local sporting goods stores. I realized that I needed some better shoes or boots for using the snowshoes. Although I could use them effectively with my tennis shoes or my outdoor boots on, neither were optimal, in my opinion. The tennis shoes allowed snow to get into my shoe, which caused my foot to be really cold...obviously. The boots didn't really allow me to move my foot as freely as I would have liked to.

So I ran to Dunham's and while I was there I found some pretty nice hiking boots on half off clearance. I got them for $25 instead of $50. Now granted, even $50 isn't a lot of money for a set of hiking boots so they probably aren't the greatest quality, but they are comfortable and they fit me really well. So for now they will do. While at Dunham's I got the ugliest Detroit Lions hat I've ever seen. It was only $7, so not too much money, and it's actually so ugly that I like it!!!

After Dunham's I hit up MC Sports to see if they had anything else of interest. While I was there I noticed that they had their snowpants on sale. I ended up getting a pair of snowpants for $25. I figured that was a pretty good deal for something that I will use while snowshoeing and while clearing the snow off the driveway.

Later on in the evening. I went out and walked around in the yard with the snowshoes on. They worked out really well!!!! I was able to break trail in the yard really easily, and after the trail was broken I was able to easily walk along the snow with no issues whatsoever. The snow is probably nearly 12 inches deep. The snowshoes sank into the snow a bit, but I found that there was still at least 5 inches or so of snow on the ground even in the spots that I had completely broken.

Just to test to see if they were actually doing something or not, I took them off and tried to walk the same trail that I had just made in my regular hiking boots. Let's just say that the snowshoes make a HUGE difference when walking in snow. With just the boots on I really sank into the snow more than with the snowshoes. On top of that, with the regular boots on I really slipped around a lot. I guess it's something that most people are probably used to, but you don't know how ineffective walking in the snow is with regular boots until you've walked in the snow with some good snowshoes.

Another thing about walking in them...it's an awesome workout. I did it for probably about 30 minutes and I could really feel it. I think that doing this in the winter is going to be really fun and a good way to try and get in better shape!!!

No comments: