Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Started Learning the Ukulele Tonight...


So tonight while I was watching the GMAC Bowl on ESPN2, I grabbed the uke and the beginners book and started reading. I learned about how to hold the uke, how to strum it, and what all the parts are called. I also learned how to determine which fingers to use when playing chords.

After reading it for a while and just messing with the uke, I learned my first two chords. I got pretty good at playing them, but man is it ever tough to get my fingers to move the way that they need to in order to get on the strings. I had a lot of fun doing it though, and I look forward to getting my DVD so that I can really start learning. Learning by reading is one thing, but it's kind of hard to keep the book held open with one hand while trying to strum and hold chords. Basically, I don't have 3 hands so I can't do it. The DVD will allow me to follow along without having to use my hands to mess with a book.

I also ordered a few accessories for the uke that should be here when the DVD gets here. I ordered a tuner to make sure it's in tune...even after years of playing the saxaphone I still was never able to actually tune the instrument for some reason. I guess I just didn't have the ear for it. I could tell when it was WAY out of tune...but I could never get it that last little bit. The tuner will help make sure the instrument is always in tune, because it just clips onto the end of the uke and constantly measures the tune. I also ordered a humidifier to make sure that the wood stays perfect. Both things were highly recommended by several places that I checked, so I figured that they would be good things to get.

No comments: