Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Started the Uke DVD...

So I started watching the uke DVD tonight.

I forgot how hard it is to learn to play an instrument. I guess I had convinced myself that I would be able to pick this thing up and be playing simple melodies and songs almost right away. That's not the case at all. It's not frustrating to me, but I'm beginning to wonder if my fingers actually bend the way that they need to in order to play the thing.

The DVD seems pretty good. Ralph Shaw is the guy who does it, and he seems to be a pretty good teacher. He's been really stressing going slowly and doing a few minutes of practice almost everyday. He's a good player from what I can tell and he also is a comedian, so he has a good on screen presence. The DVD is a bit short, so I'm sure I'll be watching it a few times before I start to get the hang of it. Ralph plays all types of ukes...the picture is of him with a banjo-ukulele.
With that said, I'm going to try and make this thing work out for me. In retrospect, I may have been better off trying to purchase a guitar...because at least with the guitar I could've gotten some private lessons...but I don't know if anyone around would do any lessons for the uke. But I think I'll be able to do it...I just need to practice it quite a bit...and I need to get a pick, because for whatever reason my fingers just don't seem to want to pluck the strings the way they seem like they should.

I'll get those other few accessories Tuesday at Marshall Music, and then I should be good to go to start learning!!!!

No comments: