Monday, May 18, 2009

I'm a Trekker After All...


So after thoroughly enjoying the new "Star Trek" movie, I have been talking about it a lot with pretty much anyone that will listen to me. I found a guy at work that was REALLY into the old series and really enjoyed the new movie.

We talked about the movie for quite a while and how it was different than the original, and how it was the same.

Now, if you remember my other post I mentioned that I wasn't really a Trekker. I have never really followed any of the series on TV. I honestly don't think I've ever watched an entire episode of one of the TV shows.

But after talking with Dan at work, something began to dawn on me. "Star Trek" embodies many of the things that I find absolutely fascinating. Space. Adventure. The technology of the future. Black holes. New planets. Aliens. Action. FTL travel. Exploration. Excitement.

The things in "Star Trek" are all things that are pretty interesting to me. I like imagining what the future will be like. I like believing that one day we'll achieve faster than light travel, even though physics says we can not do it. I like thinking that one day we'll be able to teleport ourselves from one place to another in an instant. I like believing that one day we will discover (or be discovered) by an alien species and learn all about them. I like all of these things.

And because of this, I guess I actually am a Trekker at heart. And I guess I don't have a problem with that.

I look forward to discovering the Final Frontier....

1 comment:

Doug said...

Welcome to the club.
Resistance is futile...
May you live long and prosper...