Friday, May 22, 2009

OnLive...

So I've been paying attention for a little while to this new gaming console that is coming out this winter. It's called OnLive. Today I signed up for the public beta testing that they will be doing this summer, and hopefully I'll be able to get in on it. I've been in on a couple of betas in the last few years, so hopefully if I get contacted that experience will help me to get chosen for the program.

What is OnLive you ask?? Well, it's a new system that's effectively designed to eliminate the need to actually go to a store and purchase video games. Like Xbox Live! delivers demos and arcade titles to you via download, OnLive does the same thing...but differently. OnLive doesn't actually store anything on your hard drive, other than a small 1 megabyte client file. It actually uses a new and advanced system of streaming to allow you to play the games while they stream from high end servers on the back end of the service.

This means that you can play games on a PC or a Mac, but you can also get what they call a "Micro Console" and hook that up to your TV which will allow you to play the games on any TV. In order to play standard definition games, you need a 1.5mbps download speed and to play games in high def you need a 5mbps download speed. I'm pretty sure I meet the requirements to play at the 5mbps so I should be able to play the HD versions of the games.

I would probable be most interested in the Micro Console, because I would rather play games on a 37" screen than on a 22" screen...but playing on the PC wouldn't be too bad...here's what the Micro Console and the special controller look like...You'll notice that the controller has buttons similar to a DVR or VCR on it, and that's because the system is constantly recording 15 seconds worth of game play. Due to this, you can hit the record button when you do something especially great (or especially stupid) and show it to your friends around the world.

All of this is supposed to basically be given to the gamer for a monthly fee...I don't really know if there will be a charge for games or if the monthly fee will get you all the gameplay that you want. I wouldn't mind paying $15 a month for the service and then paying $39 to buy a game...but if it's going to be a monthly fee AND you'll still have to pay $60 for a game, then that's a bit much....

Either way, it seems to be something to keep my eyes on...and I hope I can get in on that beta!!!

No comments: