Sunday, May 31, 2009

Surf Lessons...


So I have always wanted to know how to surf...but of course I always was in a bad location for that. Or so I thought.

Michigan can't possibly be a good place for surfing, can it?? No. The Great Lakes simply don't have large enough waves. Do they? It's impossible.

I remember once when I was younger I was at my friend Jon's cottage up at Silver Lake. His cottage was only about a two minute walk from Lake Michigan. One morning we got up to go fly kites because it was really windy...but when we got to the beach we noticed that the waves on the lake were probably about 15 feet high...so instead we went and got our swim shorts and hit the waves for the entire day.

But I thought I had missed out on my best chance of learning to surf. When I was in Costa Rica back in early 2008 the guys that were part of the groom's party all went for surf lessons. I didn't know they were going so of course I didn't get to go. Had I known I probably would've tagged along even though I wasn't in the groom's party.

But anyways, to the point...I have found that the southern tip of Lake Michigan can actually provide for some pretty good surfing. So good, in fact, that there is actually a surf shop in New Buffalo, Michigan. Some people have been surfing that part of Lake Michigan for over 50 years.

The best part?? The Third Coast Surf Shop offers lessons!!! It's about a three hour drive for me, so I'm not sure when I'd be able to get there to take some, but it's definitely closer than going back to Costa Rica...or California...or Hawai'i.

I think that maybe sometime this summer I'll try to get there to get a lesson in!!
This Shop also offers skimboarding lessons. It looks like the surf lessons are at 10:00 AM and cost $45. The skimboard lessons are all on the same days as the surf lessons but are at 2:00 PM and cost $35. So what I may try and do is just get $80 together and go over to the beach one day and get both sets of lessons. Should make for a pretty fun day I would imagine.

No comments: