Sunday, March 8, 2009

47


That's how many days are currently left until the 2009 NFL Entry Draft.

I have a great interest in watching this year's draft. I have high, high, high, high, high, high hopes for the Lions as they SEEM to be making smart moves so far in this off season. They have signed some solid veterans and gotten a few key players signed. They even made a play to pull Jay Cutler out of Denver.

I still feel that they are going to be looking at a quarterback. Probably Matt Stafford. I'm still okay with that, but I'm even more interested to see what they do with the OTHER picks they have.

Seeing as the 0-16 debacle gets them the #1 pick, it also allows them to have the #1 pick in the second round, which realistically is just as good as a low first round pick. With that said, the Lions effectively have THREE first round draft picks this season, thanks in no small part to the Freak Show down in Dallas.

I'm really interested to see what they will do with the pick from Dallas. It's the #20 pick this year, and many people are saying that after his showing at the combine that Andre Smith should still be available at this spot. So should Rey Maualuga. Those are two players that if they are both available at #20 I might be hard pressed to choose between. I honestly think I would take Maualuga, because he's shown himself to be a hard worker, a smart guy, a leader, and a strong player. Smith, on the other hand seems like he might be problems off the field...but his presence on the field is hard to ignore.

Either way, I'm really looking forward to it!!

No comments: