Tuesday, March 3, 2009

GS-1000 Luggage

So I've been thinking a lot lately about potential luggage for the Suzuki. From what I'm hearing, a big front fairing looks MUCH better on a bike when the bike also has some nice luggage in place on the back of it.

I've got those nice soft cases that I plan on getting for the sides of the bike, but I would also like a top-case of some kind. The soft cases are easily removable from the sides of the bike, but the top case would be something that would be more or less permanently installed on the bike. Of course, it could be removed, but not as easily as the soft sided bags would be able to be taken off.

I have a couple of ideas, and most of them revolve around the fact that the bike already has a Vetter luggage mounting system on it. The mount for the top case isn't a luggage rack, so many of the universal ideas for motorcycle trunks won't quite work out, as they generally require an actual luggage rack in order to be mounted on the bike easily. I could, I guess, try to create some kind of luggage rack that would actually work with the Vetter mounts, but that might be something that wouldn't end up being as sturdy as I would like it to be.

In the end I will probably need something that will just mount directly to the bars that are on there currently. I am looking into the option of getting a luggage rack, but they seem to be pretty hard to come by for this bike, so I've been coming up with some other ideas for what I could try and use for a hard sided case on the back of the bike. So far I have a few...but they will be VERY utilitarian. The leading candidate right now is a Coleman Cooler mounted directly onto the bars on the back of the bike. This would serve a couple of good purposes...it would hold lots of stuff, it would be relatively water tight, and best of all it would be able to keep things cool if they needed to be kept cool while riding...like milk or other groceries from a quick trip to the store...or lunches on the way to work.

It might not look the greatest in the world, but I've said it before and I'm sticking to it, I'm going for function WAY over form on this Suzuki. It's a bike that's going to be ridden for a lot of things, so as long as it doesn't look like it's just been crashed, then it looks fine to me.

Besides, the cooler might not be the WORS looking thing that I could mount on there. I'm also toying with the idea of using a toolbox, a big plastic storage bin, and many other things. In the end I may still end up trying to make a universal trunk fit onto the back of the bike, but in the meantime I'm keeping my options open!!

No comments: